NCEEER Title VIII Dissertation Completion Grant Program
NCEEER invites proposals to its Title VIII Short Term Research Grant Program. The Short Term Research Grant Program (STTG) provides a maximum award of $2,500 for research on the countries of Russia, Central Asia, the Caucasus, and the Balkans. To qualify, applicants must be U.S. citizens holding the PhD.
Short-term research grants are individual grants to scholars or researchers which may be used for up to twelve months for the following purposes: 1) enabling scholars and researchers to get quick access to research resources in the relevant regions; 2) supporting refresher visits on particular topics for already established research work; 3) enabling research planning with colleagues from the region; and 4) supporting the creation of databases and research aids.
The Short Term Research Grant Program is meant to support research that is relevant to United States policy toward Russia, Central Asia, the Caucasus, and the Balkans
*Contingent on availability of funds
Travel to certain countries may be subject to restrictions due to unforeseen world events, statutory restrictions, U.S. embassy requirements, or general security concerns.
The Short Term Research Grant Program supports scholars who are US citizens holding the PhD. Eligible research must concern one or more of the countries listed above. Competitive topics will demonstrate a clear and compelling link to current U.S. foreign policy toward the region of Eastern Europe and Eurasian.
Grantees will be required to submit regular reports to NCEEER. Research reports submitted to NCEEER may be considered for publication in the journal Problems of Post-Communism.
You have two options to submit your proposal (all applications will be given equal weight, regardless of submission method):
- E-mail the application form and associated files as a single zipped attachment (.zip file) to . Indicate "STRG Application: [your last name]" in the subject line.
- Mail your documents via the Postal Service to the address at the bottom of this page (attn.: Anastasia Moore).
The application forms can be downloaded by visiting the "Apply" section of this website. All applications must include the following items:
- Application Form
- Project Proposal. Please limit the proposal to four pages including footnotes; longer proposals may not be considered.
- Estimated Budget. Please download the budget form from www.nceeer.org. NCEEER uses the Department of State per diem rates are used, where applicable. Please feel free to contact NCEEER staff with any questions.
- Curriculum Vitae. Include a CV, organized in chronological order. Please highlight any previous NCEEER awards and papers. The CV should be no more than four pages and in PDF or Microsoft Word format.
- Two Letters of Recommendation
The deadlines for the submission of applications is December 31, 2022. Applicants will be notified of the selection committee’s decision by March 1, 2023. All work must be completed by September 1, 2024.
The Title VIII Short Term Research Grant is supported by federal funds. Accordingly, grants are subject to Federal laws and regulations, including OMB Circulars A-21, A-110, A-122, A-128, and A-133. Grants are also subject to the availability of funds.